You may have heard about refined flour bread, 100% wholewheat bread, brown bread, multi-grain bread etc. but you might have not heard about semolina bread. This simple recipe of semolina bread loaf would make you forget the taste of the breads you have been eating till now.
I honestly had no idea that you could even make 100% semolina bread! But it is really easy and extremely delicious! Feel free to add in some fun additions like pumpkin seeds, melon seeds, sesame seeds, Italian seasonings, garlic etc.! They are all great.
This will make the perfect dish for your sandwich, a toast with an omelette or have it with pasta or spaghetti with some garlic butter on it! Try it out and share your experience with us.
100% Semolina Bread Loaf
Refined flour bread, 100% wholewheat bread, brown bread, multi-grain bread are commonly seen but semolina bread is still not very common. Here is a recipe of making a bread loaf using only semolina. It tastes too good to be avoided. Enjoy it with butter, jam, cheese spread or any other topping of your choice.
Following are the steps to make Semolina Bread Loaf
- Mix all the dry ingredients together.
- Add oil to the dry ingredients.
- Warm the water slightly and start adding it to the mixture gradually. Keep mixing it.
- Now knead the dough for 10 to 12 minutes using the stretch and fold method. As you knead, the mixture will absorb the water.
- At this time, you will have to see that your dough should be soft but not sticky. Add some more water if required.
- The dough will then become smooth and elastic.
- Grease a large bowl (at least double the size of the dough) and transfer the dough into it.
- Cover it with a cling film and leave it to rise for at least 45 minutes or until the dough doubles in size. This may take longer in cold weather.
- Punch the dough, remove it from the bowl and knead lightly for 5 to 7 minutes again.
- Lightly oil the work platform and start rolling the dough using a rolling pin.
- Fold the dough to make a log (not wider than the tin) and pinch lightly on each fold.
- Pinch tightly from all the sides on the last fold.
- Grease an 8½" x 4½" loaf pan and place the log in it. You can also use parchment paper at the bottom for easy release.
- Cover it loosely with a lightly greased cling wrap and allow it to rise again for approximately 45min. or until it doubles.
- Preheat the oven at 200°C for 10 minutes.
- Bake the bread for 40 minutes, until it's golden brown on the top.
- Remove the bread from the oven and cover it for 5 minutes with a damp cloth and allow it to cool.
- Remove the bread from the mould, brush some oil on the top, cover with a damp cloth and let it cool on a rack.
Slice the bread only after 2 hours.
You can add some mixed seeds while kneading and on the top when you keep it for second proofing.
You can change this recipe into a vegan recipe by removing milk powder.
Store the bread in an airtight container at room temperature or in the refrigerator for longer storage.