Who says delicious food can’t be healthy? In all our posts, we have been talking about healthy baking using whole wheat flour. whole wheat bread, whole wheat cakes, whole wheat cookies and so let us have something different yet healthy. How about making a cake with ‘Suji (Semolina Flour)’? Yes, we have been using suji readily to make idlis, dosa, dhoklas, suji toast, suji ka halwa (everyone’s delight), and many more delicious things. Suji is used extensively in Southern India. These days, in many parts of the world, it is also used for making pasta, bread, porridge, etc. so why not try out a cake with it! But what is suji and is it really good for health? What are the benefits of suji? All these questions will be answered in this post.
What is Semolina Flour or Suji?
Semolina is just another version of wheat in which the wheat is roughly or coarsely grounded. The wheat used to make suji is durum wheat which is a hard type of wheat. It gives the dishes a really unique kind of texture and tastes absolutely delicious.
Benefits of Suji
Suji is certainly a better flour than the refined flour if we consider its nutritional value. It has proteins, iron, thiamin, magnesium, and has fiber content too. The fat content in semolina is almost negligible.
This is not all. There are many more benefits of sooji. Here they are:
1. Energy booster- The whole wheat from which semolina is made is rich in carbohydrates which is why it gives you energy.
2. Good for heart- Suji may help in keeping the heart healthy as it contains magnesium and it also helps in reducing the level of cholesterol. It also helps in balancing the level of blood sugar.
3. Rich in fiber- Because of this reason, suji can help in digestion and is also considered good for weight as it takes time to digest, your stomach feels full, and thus, your hunger is reduced.
4. High in protein- This is another reason why you feel full after having a suji dish. Your digestion process slows down with these dishes.
5. Improves bone health- The presence of calcium in suji improves the health of your bones. As per an article on NDTV Food, there is 17g of calcium in every 100 g of suji (as per USDA)
All these benefits make it a great choice to have it in our meals.
Suji Cake Recipe
To make this healthy suji cake you would need the following ingredients:
Malai or Milk cream – 2 tbsp
Oil – ¼ cup
Powdered sugar – ¾ cup
Yogurt – ½ cup
Suji / Semolina (fine) – 1 ½ cup
Baking soda – ½ tsp
Baking powder – 1 tsp
Vanilla extract – ½ tsp
Milk – ¼ cup milk
Tutti frutti – ¼ cup
Finely chopped nuts – as required
- Mix malai or milk cream, oil, and powdered sugar and make a smooth batter.
- Now add yogurt and mix well.
- Add suji and mix well. Cover this mixture and keep aside for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, mix baking powder, baking soda, and vanilla essence and then add milk and mix thoroughly.
- Finally add tutti frutti.
- Preheat the oven for 10 minutes at 180 degrees.
- Prepare a tin for baking by oiling it. You may also put a butter paper.
- Pour the batter into the tin and spread the finely chopped nuts on the top evenly.
- Place the tin in the oven and let it bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Check if the cake is done by using a toothpick.
- If done, take it out and let it cool before unmoulding it. Now it into pieces and it is ready to serve.
Try the recipe and serve your loved ones with this delicious delicacy. Don’t forget to follow us our instagram channel.
Note: Some people may be allergic to different kinds of flour including suji and other exceptions should also be considered before consuming it.