Whole wheat cake made with the goodness and flavours of seasonal fruit orange. This season, I thought of serving with Italian dessert Zabaione which is a creamy custard with chunks of oranges. Perfect delight to share with family after a meal. It is so easy to make that you would want to try it right now.
Orange cake treat is doubled when it is made with one full orange chunk, orange zest and orange juice. In every bit, there is flavour of the fruit. I am very particular about the flavour of the fruit so I try to stick to seasonal fruit. Hence, I chose to make orange cake. I made it with 100% whole wheat flour and no maida at all. It is so moist and fluffy. The little italian treat makes it a perfect dessert.
So let’s start baking. Here are the following ingredients you would need to make a perfect spongy orange cake. With the below measurements, you can small cake weighs 250grams.
Whole wheat flour: 70 grams
Unsalted Butter: 70 grams
Sugar: 70 grams (You can keep it low if you serve it with Zabaione as it contains sugar too.)
½ baking Powder
¼ baking Soda
Pinch of Salt
½ cup milk
Steps to bake a fluffy sponge cake:
- Add unsalted butter (at room temperature) to a bowl. Mix sugar with it using a creaming method which is one of the classic baking methods.
- Add egg to the batter and mix it well. Add some orange juice and orange zest at this stage.
- In another bowl, sieve all the dry ingredients – whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Try to sieve it twice. It is more work but normally recommended when using whole wheat flour.
- Mix dry ingredients with the wet ingredients.
- Now mix chunks of orange into the batter.
- Add milk to make the batter have dropping consistency.
- Put it in a pre-heated oven for 25 minutes at 180 deg celsius.
Whilst your delicious treat is being baked in the oven, gather ingredients for our italian dessert which is served hot with the cake. Traditionally, Zabaione is made with your choice of alcohol but we are going to non-alcoholic version inspired by the recipe here.
To make a non-alcoholic version of Zabaione, you just need two ingredients. Sugar and egg yolk. Make it with minimum 3 egg yolks.
Take 3 egg yolks in a bowl. Add 4 tbsp of sugar. Mix it well until the sugar dissolves. Once the sugar is dissolved, put water in a pan for double boiling method. Put the bowl with egg yolk and sugar batter. Continuously whisk it for at least 6-7 minutes until you see creamy and shiny layers. Make sure the boiling water is not touching the batter. Remove it from the gas and mix oranges in custard. Your custard is ready to serve. If you don’t want to use sugar, you can also use condensed milk here. You will get a beautiful and creamy texture.