Cakes are everyone’s favourites. Does not matter whether you are a boy or a girl, a man, or a woman, whether you are a 3-year-old toddler or a sixty-year-old person. There is hardly someone who does not like cakes.
With Covid 19 pandemic, as people in most countries are spending their time at home, they are trying their hands-on cooking, especially baking cakes. You do not need a chef’s skill to bake a decent cake at home. Anybody can do that as long as you have few ingredients and an oven or cooker.
But, with people trying their hands-on baking cake, a question that usually comes up from the majority of people is- Are homemade cakes healthy?
Yes, without any doubt, homemade cakes are certainly healthier than store made cakes.
Why are homemade cakes healthy?
- With homemade cakes, you are in control of everything. You can control the types of flours, sugars, fats, and other ingredients you use. Most commercial cakes use hydrogenated fats which is not good for health as it increases cholesterol level which in result leads to heart diseases. But, with homemade cakes, you can use plain whole and organic ingredients.
- Commercial cake mixes contain preservatives and chemicals to make it last longer,so it is difficult to tell whether the cake is fresh or not. Whereas homemade cakes are freshly baked for immediate consumption without any added preservatives.
- Kitchen hygiene and quality can also be checked on a regular basis at your home which, on the other hand, is not possible at Store.
- Stores generally prepare only a few flavours of cake that can be sold easily, and to try other flavours you have to purchase a whole cake. But with homemade cake, you get the opportunity to try your hand on endless flavours of cake that are available in the market. You can choose from vanilla, chocolate, lemon, butterscotch, carrot, caramel, apricot, raspberry, orange, apple, ginger, rum, the list is endless.
- Store made cake does not take into account allergies and dietary constraints. The use of ingredients such as milk, gluten, dry fruits, etc can be substituted in a homemade cake as per your preference. With many people opting for Keto and Vegan diets, cakes for them are not easily available at stores but can be easily made at home.
These are just a few reasons why a homemade cake is healthier than a store-made cake. Most of the stores made cake use cheap ingredients for mass production just to increase their profits with no regard for health benefits. Fortunately, with increasing demand in the food industry and with the help of certain government guidelines, the quality check of stores is conducted on a regular basis for customer satisfaction. But, to what extent it can be trusted, even with all these quality checks you cannot be 100 % sure.
Homemade cake also brings you and your loved ones close as you share the whole baking experience. You can involve your whole family in the cake baking process and create wonderful memories with each other. So remember, the next time you feel like eating a cake, just wear your chefs’ hat, enter into the kitchen and start baking.
We are sharing a perfect recipe of a healthy vanilla cake made with 100% wholewheat and no maida which you can easily try at home.
Ingredients to make eggless 100% wholewheat vanilla sponge cake:
Whole Wheat Flour (Atta) – 1 cup
Baking powder – 1 tsp
Baking soda – 1/8 tsp
Milk Powder – ½ cup (Substitute for egg and helps to make cake spongy)
Butter (Unsalted) – ½ cup
Powdered Sugar – ½ cup
Milk – ½ cup
Steps to make a delicious yummy cake:
1. Mix and Sieve the dry ingredients – whole wheat flour, baking powder and baking soda together and keep aside.
2. In a mixing bowl, add butter and powdered sugar. Blend it until it is smooth.
3. Add milk powder to batter and blend further.
5. Add dry ingredients little by little and keep blending
6. Add milk little by little and keep blending.
7. Blend until smooth batter is prepared.
8. Grease the baking dish and pour the batter in the baking dish.
9. Put in a preheated oven and bake for 35 minutes at 180º C.
10. Check with the knife prick if the cake is ready!
11. Enjoy your cake 🙂
We hope you will like our recipe. Also, check out some baking tips here to bake a delicious yummy cake. Email us the picture of your cake and we will happily share it on our Instagram. And do not forget to follow our Instagram handle Ritualskitchen for amazing recipes, tips, mouth-watering pictures, and many more.